Indonesia tightens foreign surveillance after massive online gambling raid
Indonesia’s immigration authorities are increasing surveillance of foreign nationals after police uncovered a major online gambling syndicate in Jakarta involving 320 foreign suspects and one Indonesian citizen.
Indonesia is stepping up immigration and foreign-national surveillance after a major raid on an alleged international online gambling network in West Jakarta. The case began with the arrest of 321 people at Hayam Wuruk Plaza Tower, but authorities later clarified that 320 of them were foreign nationals while one suspect was an Indonesian citizen.
The foreign detainees included 228 Vietnamese nationals, 57 Chinese nationals, 13 from Myanmar, 11 from Laos, five from Thailand, three from Malaysia and three from Cambodia. The case has now moved beyond a standard police operation, with the National Police handing the foreign suspects to the Directorate General of Immigration for further processing.
Immigration and Corrections Minister Agus Andrianto said his ministry would increase surveillance at locations that could potentially be used for similar operations. He linked the measure to concerns that foreign nationals are exploiting visa-free entry facilities, making it harder for authorities to identify high-risk entrants before they become involved in illegal activities.
The raid exposed a structured digital gambling operation. Police said the group was using electronic systems and organised cross-border workflows, with suspects assigned to specific roles. Investigators identified around 75 domains and websites suspected of facilitating online gambling, some of which allegedly used naming and labelling strategies to evade blocking.
The immigration response also includes a deeper investigation into sponsors and guarantors. The Directorate General of Immigration said it had identified 15 sponsors responsible for bringing the foreign nationals into Indonesia, and officials are now examining whether those sponsors were connected to immigration crimes or broader criminal activity.
The case fits into a wider Indonesian crackdown on transnational cybercrime. Immigration authorities had already said they were considering an evaluation of visa-free policy for certain countries after a separate raid in Batam involving 210 foreign nationals suspected of online scam activity. Officials said stronger early detection and better screening at land, sea and air border points would be needed to prevent Indonesia from becoming a safe haven for scam and gambling syndicates.
For Indonesia, the West Jakarta raid shows that illegal online gambling is no longer only a digital enforcement problem. It now involves immigration control, visa policy, financial flows, local sponsors and cross-border criminal networks. The next phase of the investigation will be important: if authorities can identify the organisers, sponsors and money channels behind the operation, Indonesia may be able to reduce the risk of foreign gambling syndicates shifting into the country after crackdowns in other parts of Southeast Asia.
Share
-
Red Dragon of Luck, where fortune burns ...Onlyplay proudly presents Red Dragon of ...May 24, 2026
-
Tech Race Summit Opens Final Call for Sp...SOFTSWISS has opened the final call for ...May 23, 2026
-
QTech Games strengthens its elite suite ...QTech Games the leading game aggregator ...May 23, 2026